The American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA) serves more than 53,000 members in the U.S. and around the world. With more than 175 talented employees, our organization places tremendous value on the contributions, expertise, and knowledge that each one brings to our table.
Our Schaumburg, Illinois headquarters is home to member support, education, marketing, and operational functions, while colleagues in Washington D.C. advocate on behalf of patients, physician anesthesiologists and the specialty. Thanks to our positive, supportive work environment, ASA has been named one of Chicago's Best & Brightest Companies to Work For® in addition to one of the Best and Brightest Companies to Work For in the Nation® for the last four years.
As we continually seek to strengthen the organization, we welcome individuals who are smart, creative, motivated, and agile. If this sounds like you, please consider reaching out!
AQI was established by the American Society of Anesthesiologists in October 2008 to facilitate practice-based quality management through education and quality data feedback.
Home to NACOR, the largest anesthesia registry in the country, AQI's vision is "to be the primary source of information for quality improvement in the clinical practice of anesthesiology. Through education and quality feedback, AQI will help to improve the quality care of patients, lower anesthesia mortality and lower anesthesia incidents."
This position is responsible for providing operations and research support for AQI’s two qualitative registries, the Closed Claims Registry consisting of standardized summaries of closed anesthesia malpractice claims, and the Anesthesia Incident Reporting System (AIRS), a nationwide system for collecting individual anesthesia adverse events. This position also assists in the annual National Anesthesia Clinical Operations Registry (NACOR) audit.
Primary Position Responsibilities:
Closed Claims Registry Operations:
· Maintains data quality control by resolving data discrepancies to ensure data quality and consistency.
· Writes/maintains Standard Operating Procedures.
· Collaborates with AQI Systems Architect to maintain detailed documentation of data management and programming codes.
· Collaborates with administrative staff’s role in coordinating physician volunteer site visits to malpractice insurance providers.
· Assists in recruitment and retention of insurance companies through collaboration with designated contacts.
· Monitors and educates physician volunteers on proper case abstracting and recording techniques.
· Prepares materials for presentations and reports.
· Updates AQI Director on project progress.
· Obtains and modifies regulatory approvals for the use of human subjects in research. Composes status reports to Institutional Review Boards (IRB).
· Provides staff liaison role to Closed Claims Committee including agenda preparation, gathering supporting materials, and conducting administrative follow-up, as necessary.
· Secure Business Associate Agreements with malpractice companies that participate in the Closed Claims Program.
· Implements and oversees AIRS case categorization using the ARHQ’s common formats for event reporting.
· Compiles data, monitors data for trend detection, summarizes and presents findings.
· Coordinates with administrative staff and publications on monthly AIRS article submission for the Monitor
· Provides staff liaison role to AIRS Committee including agenda preparation, gathering supporting materials, and conducting administrative follow-up, as necessary.
· Verifies medical records and source documentation to ensure data submitted by NACOR participants is accurate and compliant with the CMS Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) requirements.
· B.S. degree in nursing or related field required. M.S. or MPH degree preferred.
· Minimum 5 years of relevant registry experience with management of data quality control and knowledge of data base development and statistical analysis required.
· Broad based knowledge of medical terminology required, familiarity with clinical anesthesia terminology helpful.
· Familiarity with Patient Safety Organizations and patient safety work product (PSWP) required, experience with ARHQ’s common formats for event reporting preferred.
· Excellent attention to detail in reporting and interpreting research results.
· Experienced user of Microsoft Office products.
About American Society of Anesthesiologists
The American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA) is a medical association that serves more than 53,000 members in the U.S. and around the world. We strive to be the world's premier medical society by offering superior educational opportunities and resources to our members, as well as a positive, empowering environment for our employees.
With more than 175 talented, enthusiastic employees, our organization places tremendous value on the contributions, unique expertise, and vast knowledge that every individual brings to our table. Our Schaumburg, Illinois headquarters is home to a variety of member support, education, marketing, and operational functions, while colleagues in Washington D.C. fiercely advocate on behalf of patients, physician anesthesiologists and the specialty as a whole.
Each of us is dedicated to our members and we strive to create an outstanding experience that helps them succeed. This commitment to excellence reaches far beyond our daily tasks—we set high expectations for ourselves, exhibit a strong work ethic and take pride in the results we achieve. Collectively, our desire to keep improving allows us to achieve great things as we seek feedback, pursue know...ledge, and strategize to enhance our organization for the future.
One tangible result of living these values is being named one of Chicago's Best & Brightest Companies to Work For® in addition to one of the Best and Brightest Companies to Work For in the Nation® for the last four years. ASA was also awarded the Health Champion designation for two consecutive years by the American Diabetes Association®.
As we continually seek to strengthen the organization, we welcome individuals who are competent, innovative, motivated, and agile. If this sounds like you, please consider reaching out!